Friday, March 19, 2010

Farewell Grandpa Ed

grandpa collage

A few posts back I wrote about my Grandpa Ed and the quilt my sister and I were making for him. This week we lost him. I have cried a lot this week—in sorrow at my loss, in happiness at his relief, and in gratitude for the prayers that were answered. For months now I (along with my family) have been praying that Grandpa Ed would be allowed to die soon and end his suffering. But we had a tall order to this prayer and we were very specific. We asked that he get to go soon, that he not die in a moment of suffering, and that he could go quietly in his sleep. The Lord is indeed merciful because that’s exactly how he went. The day after he died I was  reading in my scriptures and read this verse:

 “I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.”

 As I read that verse I knew instantly that God had heard our prayers and had indeed delivered Grandpa Ed. I don’t usually blog about such personal spiritual feelings, but I felt like I needed to write these thoughts down. My friend Laurie always says that you don’t blog about the really good and you don’t blog about the really bad. Great rule, don’t you think? This blog post is definitely one or the either. Not sure which, probably a little of both.

So farewell to my Grandpa Ed. I hope there are oranges, grapefruits, and especially avocados in heaven because nobody had a ranch quite like his. I cherished those 25 lbs of avocados he’d give me as a Christmas gift when I’d come home at the holidays. He was always generous with me and my siblings and honestly I don’t think he ever said an unkind word to me. As I held his hand the last time I saw him I told him as such. I loved him dearly.

8 comments:

Paul said...

Great pictures Cyn. That is the way I will always remember him--healthy, tireless, and eager to get to work.

The avocado tree in your parents' front yard takes on even more meaning now. It may have been the last he was able to graft before ALS took that away from him.

Michael said...

Now you have done it! I am crying now. Knowing how he went was surely an answer to our prayers.

What a beautiful blog! I love you!

Michael Harrington said...

Thanks for making my eyes water up again sister. You said some beautiful words.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog, Cyn.I am also glad he did go fast with no suffering.

Love,
Patty

Cassandra said...

Dang it, you're making me cry again! Great pictures. I wrote a blog about him too, check it out :) It's a little lengthy though...

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post about your grandpa. My kids miss their "papa" terribly. Special people leave an everlasting mark on our souls that we carry with us throughout our lives. I am sorry for your loss. I am sure he knows how much you love and miss him.

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post about your grandpa. My kids miss their "papa" terribly. Special people leave an everlasting mark on our souls that we carry with us throughout our lives. I am sorry for your loss. I am sure he knows how much you love and miss him.

Veeda said...

Thank you for sharing a bit of your heart. Just from your brief description, I know your Grandpa Ed was a wonderful soul.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...