Friday, January 27, 2012

Kitchen Remodel Part 4

In case you missed the exciting other posts about our remodel: Kitchen Remodel Part 3, Kitchen Remodel Part 2, and the first one Kitchen Remodel part 1

Well, we are at the end of the remodeling process for our kitchen. There are a few minor things that need to be done, but hopefully you don’t notice them in these pictures.

AFTER: Lots of light with white cabinetry, turquoise tiles,  and Carrera marble countertops.

DSC_0121 copy small watermark

BEFORE: Plenty of darkness: dark cabinets, dark counters. And this photo below is after I dressed her up! See the end of this post for what it looked like when we bought this house. Warning, it ain’t pretty.

DSC_1714 copy

BEFORE: 30” range, and awkward corner to left of sink that “jutted” out and ruined that counter space as anything but useable. (Not of big fan of lazy susans, which is what was in this corner.) In this photo you also can’t see where I melted my solid-surface countertops by the KitchenAid. Don’t forget to turn off your electric pancake griddle unless you want a replica of the San Anrdreas fault line in your countertops.

DSC_1718 copy

AFTER: 36” dual fuel range, nice square corner to left of sink makes that spot very usable for prep work now. Oh, and those are my same utensil crocks. I took the old ones outside and sprayed them limey green with a $3 can of spray paint. Super happy with how they turned out.  I liked my stainless hood but love the cabinetry holding the hood insert way more. Of course this is vented outside as well. I’ve never understood hoods that are not vented--that just ‘recycle’ the air and spit it back into your house. That does nothing. I like to roast butterflied chicken at 500 degrees. And for that, you need a vented hood,  unless you like the sound of smoke alarms. Done that before.

DSC_0116 copy

Before: An awkward island that had only two big sections meant always getting on my hands and knees to dig out pots and lids. Always a treasure hunt. (I did paint the island white last summer in an attempt to pacify my need for white cabinetry. It didn’t work.

DSC_1717 copy

After: An island made of quarter-sawn oak that looks like a piece of furniture, full of drawers and pull outs for a super efficient use of space. Room to grow!

DSC_0114 copy

DSC_0107 copy

Before: The pantry did provide lots of storage, but our fabulous cabinet maker, Ben Blackwelder, threw out the amazing idea of removing the pantry and adding a cabinet style pantry. Yes, I would lose storage, but gain counter space and make the kitchen tons better. (I have another pantry under the stairs.) I thought about it for a day or two and realized I would love that extra space for the kitchen instead so adios pantry! My yellow walls didn’t look this garrish. See this post for the etsy article feature that shows how nice the yellow actually did look.

old pantry

After: The cabinet style pantry is eye candy and our same refrigerator looks like an expensive built in. Oh yea! The tile in the pantry and entryway from the garage was removed and is now all hickory stained a medium brown. (I don’t like natural blond hickory. Gag.) The arched drop ceiling leading out into the garage was removed and a lovely chandelier added.

DSC_0112 copy small

Okay, that’s it for BEFORE and AFTER shots, now just some more after shots.

I’ve always hated the look of microwaves. I don’t think there is anything pretty about them. I’ve always had mine hidden in a pantry and luckily our cabinet maker agreed to keep it hidden because he too hates the look of microwaves. It’s just personal preference people, if you love your microwave, good for you!

DSC_0106 copy

The cabinet maker suggested we use big drawers like the ones below to store all the everyday dishes that we unload 1-2 times a day from our dishwasher. Once again, super efficient idea. Everything is easily accessed for the children now as well. It’s always a bonus when my 8-yr old can unload the dishwasher without needing to reach high up to put heavy plates away.

DSC_0108 copy watermark

I’ve always loved subway tiles. This is the third time I’ve used them in my house(s). See this post with cream subway tiles in my last house. The soft turquoise tile is the perfect compliment to the Carrera marble counters. (And no, the green apples are not a prop. I am going to make a German Apple Pancake for breakfast Saturday morning.) Yes, I know, one of the outlet covers is white and not stainless. It’s on back order.)

DSC_0111 copy watermark

l didn’t want a white island as I know from experience the island gets pretty beat up from the children sitting at the counters and just general wear and tear for being in the center of the kitchen. I asked Ben Blackwelder to suggest something. He suggested something timeless like quarter-sawn oak. It’s so classy. It looks like a piece of antique furniture from the Arts & Crafts era. And because it’s not stained, it will age over time and get a gorgeous patina. Ben says it is treated in an ammonia tent which naturally changes the color of the wood. Ooooo, chemistry is magic indeed!

DSC_0125 copy watermark

I wanted contemporary pulls and knobs in polished nickel to go with the more traditional/transitional cabinetry. DSC_0124 copy

Speaking of polished nickel, these are the pendants that just make the kitchen pop. I spent hours and hours looking online for the perfect pendants. They needed to be contemporary, a little bit glam, and still look kind of vintage. These are the only ones that made me gasp with happiness when I saw them. (Do you like my reflection in the shiny pendant?)

DSC_0128 copy

I knew I wanted a one-bowl sink again. I put one in in my last house and I have missed it for 5 years. There’s nothing like hiding dirty pots and pans in a big sink. Great for soaking the crusty junk on said pans as well. The faucet was a tricky one to find. I insisted the control be normal—meaning hot is left, cold is right. I do not like the new faucets where the control is attached to the right of the faucet and therefore back is hot, forward is cold, or something confusing like that.  And I already had a kitchen faucet before where hot/cold where two separate knobs and hated it. They are gorgeous, but completely impractical when you have raw chicken or enchilada sauce on your hands—hmm, let’s get the temperature correct, a little turn of the knob on the left, a little turn of the knob on the right, nope too hot, let’s try again. That faucet was the first thing to go in this house. This faucet (pictured below) is  the only one that fit my requirements. I wish I could’ve found one a bit more contemporary, but in this case, function trumped fashion. I love the dish soap dispenser on the left too.

DSC_0123 copy

An open shelf was suggested by the cabinet maker to break up that huge wall of solid cabinetry. I think it’s the perfect place to add some bright colors, show off my mom’s china (that she recently gave to me—my Dad bought her this china in Japan in 1970 while he was in the Air Force during the Vietnam war) and store a few cookbooks. Some have asked why this little cabinet doesn’t go all the way to the ceiling. I don’t think it would look like a piece of furniture then. It would look like another cabinet. I love it as is.

DSC_0098 copy

There you have it, my dream kitchen. Demolition began December 27, and today is January 27th, 2012, so not too bad. Living without a kitchen was no fun. At all. I think I’ll write another post about all the microwave meals that were a hit/bomb from Costco.

I believe in living better, not bigger. I have no desire to have a bigger house. Our house has good bones and we love it here. I just want it a bit more personalized to our liking. Please don’t think I am bragging in this post, I really am very grateful for all of this. My husband Paul and I worked really, really hard to save our pennies for this project. Paul is the happiest accountant ever and I run my own embroidery designs website. We have no debt (well, a few years left on the house) and we live frugally to avoid a few little luxuries like this kitchen. It took 5 years of living here to figure out how we wanted the kitchen and almost as long to save. That’s the bonus to remodeling vs. moving. With remodeling you can live in the space first and decide how to change it later.

DSC_0110 copy watermark

Oh, and by the way, one of my new favorite color combinations is gray walls and green furniture. In case you can’t tell.

DSC_0130 copy

All homes have potential so don’t move, remodel! This is how the house looked when our realtor took us through way back in April 2006. I kept telling myself, “the house has good bones…..we can change all this…..”old kitchen2

And change it we did!

before and after

Sources:

Contractor: L&D Construction, Provo Utah.  801-836-3560. Leah Passey is the best. She always goes the extra mile for us and her prices are super fair. We’ve used her company before and we surely will again.

Custom Cabinets: Benjamin Blackwelder Cabinetry, Orem Utah. This guy has vision. His crew was awesome and they were super easy to work with. Cabinet color is ‘White Dove’ by Benjamin Moore Paints. (Jones Paint & Glass in Provo is the only place locally to get BM Paints.) Ben is the one who let me know that custom cabinets are only about 10% more than regular ones you’d get at Home Depot. Giddy-up!

Range: Kitchen Aid 36” Dual Fuel Range.  I paid $2,000 less than MSRP at Mountainland Supply in Provo, Utah. I’ve only seen comparable prices on Ebay. The hood insert and sink are from Mountainland Supply as well. Good deals at that place!

Hardwood floors: Pioneer Hardwood Pleasant Grove, Utah (801) 830-2115. Bobby re-finished our floors last year as well. He is a perfectionist, and it shows.

Pendants: Benson Pendant in 7” size in polished nickel from Restoration Hardware. Chandelier next to refrigerator is from Lowe’s, click here. Gorgeous at night all lit up! Knobs and Pulls are “Strande” also from Restoration Hardware in polished nickel. Gray wall color is “Whipporwill” by Millenium Paint. Just tell that to the friendly folks at Lowes and they’ll mix it right up. I love that you can get ANY color in small $2.50 samples at Lowes. Way better than buying a whole quart to sample. This is the perfect gray—it has just a touch of green to warm it up so that it doesn’t look so, well, gray.

Tile Backsplash: This is a 3”x6”glass tile by Dal Tile. The color is called Whisper Green but I would rename is Dreamy Soft Turquoise.

Kitchen Faucet: Delta Single Handle Pull Down with soap dispenser

Countertops: Carrera Marble through MGS Countertops. BJ is the owner and he is great to work with. He made sure I knew all about the pros and cons of Carrera. He even gave me a sample to take home and stain/etch so that I would have no regrets. I “spilled” raspberry jam, lemon juice, oil, and milk onto it to see the effect. He said it will take a year or so to develop a patina. Until then, some of the minor scratches/stains may bug me. I’ve never been fussy about having something look perfectly clean so I doubt I’ll be bothered. Ask me in a year if I feel the same way. In this last week we’ve already made some marks on the marble but they just leave a gray cast, which hello, the countertops are already white/gray anyway. There are no white granites (less maintenance than marble) and an engineered quartz stone (Silestone, Caesar stone) was $1,000 more than the Carrera. Gulp. Natural stone is less than engineered? Yup, I was shocked too.

Yes I know, the black barstools don’t go with the room anymore. But it’s January and it’s too cold to paint. I’ll spray them a fun color this summer when my Dad visits. Or better yet, purchase these.

Bon Appetit!

 

KITCHEN FOLLOW UP: LIVING WITH MARBLE COUNTERTOPS ONE YEAR LATER

62 comments:

Candy said...

L.O.V.E. it!!!

wahoo!!!!

Aubri said...

Beautiful! LOVE IT! Enough said :)

Mrs. Diner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

You know I love it! I agree...at least when you've lived in a house you know what you want to change. I'm making all these choices & wondering which ones I will want to change later...and I'll have no one to blame but myself for the original choices!

Casey said...

Beautiful! And your not bragging. When I saw all your Pics I thought good for them. I know you work hard and have earned every luxury you have. Congrats.

Ilene said...

So, so beautiful. If I could redo my kitchen, it would be the mirror image of yours.

Only 10% more for custom cabinetry? Be still my heart.

I am totally getting me that awesome chandelier by your fridge. I hope it has magical powers to make my kitchen look as gorgeous as yours. Here's to dreaming...

Congrats!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama said...

This is so beautiful! I love the brightness of it... It's perfect!

QuiltingCyclist said...

Beautiful kitchen. You all did a wonderful job. Very, very happy for you.

Cristi said...

Cynthia, WAY TO GO!! You guys DID IT!! I am so proud of you! Lindy told me today that Benjamin did your kitchen and then I happened to see it on Pinterest tonight. I hope you don't mind, but I emailed a link to this post to Erin at the House of Turquoise. I LOVE that you walked readers through the remodel process. You make it seem super doable and not as overwhelming as building or moving. I am a firm believer in houses with "good bones" too. (I love your subway tiles - I think they may be the same ones we used!!) Anyway. I just think it's PERFECT! No one would EVER think you're bragging!! And it's just fun to share your hard work. It takes a lot to design and build a kitchen! :) Anyway, since my pregnancy, I haven't been on Etsy, so I haven't been in touch. But it's GREAT to see you and find your blog and see that you guys have finished your dream kitchen! It was SO nice meeting you this past summer when you came through our house. Lots of love!

Cristi

jessica said...

This is my dream kitchen!!! You did an amazing job.

Unknown said...

Cynthia....it is breathtaking! So happy for you guys!!! :-)
CONGRATS on making your home your's, you have done an amazing job!

I LOVE it!

Win

Brittany & Barry said...

Oh, how fun!! Like everyone else, I totally love it. Can't wait to enjoy a lovely meal in it. :) Good job on saving up to do something you love. You should feel proud of yourselves! We love you!

Nancey said...

Holy. Shnikies.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! Your remodel is just beautiful! I love a white kitchen...but I love a white kitchen with turquoise even more!

shabbychateaugirl said...

Just wondering...how long are the upper cabinets and are your ceilings 9 ft?? I LOVE the whole remodel but planning to replace upper cabinets and like the longer cabinet with door style that replicates two separate cabinets..thank you!

shabbychateaugirl said...

Sorry for the poor grammar..lol..I'm planning to replace my own upper cabs..

Cynthia said...

shabbychateaugirl--yes, we have 9' ceilings. Not sure the heighth of the upper cabinets. Will have to find a measuring tape.

Sandy said...

I love your new kitchen! You can tell you put a lot of thought into the design to make it work for you. Our house is 16 years old and it looks it. We have had to replace two of the appliances (got the stainless steel ones) just the stove and microwave left (in white and black). I know... what's white, black and stainless steel? My kitchen! I hate my microwave because it vents inside and like you...WHY? Dumb & cheap builders is why. I can't wait to have it vented outside. I don't care how much it costs either. Thanks for sharing your beautiful kitchen with us. I just love all your touches.

shabbychateaugirl said...

Thank you for the info..I have 42" cabinets and wanted to install stacked cabinets 36" and 15" to go to the ceiling but I LOVE your upper cabs with the divided door better!! I'll check back for length..thanks for digging out the tape measure!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful job!!!

SuSu said...

Love, love your kitchen! I, too, will be remodeling within the next year and I have the same faucet requirements. What kind is it?
Thanks!

Cynthia said...

Hi Susu--I just added the faucet link to the sources. Good luck!

eddielicious said...

Your kitchen is beautiful. May i pick your experienced brain? Your choice for putting the microwave in the pantry? I cannot figure out what to with that ugly neccesity in my kitchen. Also the electic code in our town for outlets is every 2 feet. Thats a lot of outlets to ruin my backsplash, you dont seem to have that many, but did you think about mounting them under the cabinets so they are hidden? Any pro's/con's and what your thoughts are on these issues would be appreciated.

Stephanie said...

You don't have to apologize for making your house your home. This is my first time to your blog {via HOT} and I didn't think you were bragging what so ever! It such a beautiful kitchen, you really thought of everything, just stunning!

Anonymous said...

Love it! I am using your sources and appreciate you letting everyone know of your great experience with them! Word of mouth is always the greatest referral. Your kitchen is gorgeous! :)

The Single Nester said...

Just lovely! What is the name and brand of the turquoise subway tile? Thanks!

Cynthia said...

The Single Nester and MIranda--
Both answers can be found if you read the blog post. Thanks!!! Cynthia

Janet said...

Beyond fabulous. Your taste and dedication to working with Best-in-Class people comes through in your result. I especially LOVE your counter tops and island top. I recently laid cararra onto of my island and LOVE it!

What you did with moving the refrigerator into the corner where your pantry was while still maintaining room for your pantry items is brilliant.

Well done - Bavo and Good for you!

Jen said...

Hi Cynthia,

Your kitchen is gorgeous. Regarding the marble countertops did you go with a honed finish?

Laura Beth said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS!! This is extraordinary!! I'm drooling over those white cabinets with the BEAUTIFUL backsplash! You've got great taste :o) Pinning!

Cynthia said...

The marble is honed.

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

Whoa, you just blew my mind with your beautiful kitchen. It looks so amazing. Great job!

Warmly, Michelle

To The Moon and Back said...

Wow! Your kitchen remodel is STUNNING! I can't get over the change. Love what your cabinetmaker suggested for your pantry area. Visiting from CG:) Thanks for sharing!

Emily said...

Your kitchen is absolutely stunning! I love all the choices you made.

Jen V. said...

This is sooo pretty! I'm definitely adding this to my kitchen inspiration file!!!

Matty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can said...

I am in love with your kitchen! I found you through Centsational Girl's post, and your kitchen makes me swoon, I LOVE the backsplash! I hope to replicate it when we upgrade a "few" details in our kitchen this summer!

Leanne @ Because (I think) I Can

Shannon said...

Love your kitchen remodel! Found your blog because I'm planning to use the same tiles for my backsplash. Just wondering if you could share what color grout you used on them? Thank you! :)

Shorely Chic said...

in LOVE with your re-do!! I hope you don't mind but I'll be posting a photo on my blog tomorrow, giving you credit of course!

Xo, Liz @ Shorely Chic

Heather Pace said...

Oh My goodness! Found your post via pinterest. Your new kitchen is very close to my dream kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration. Especially LOVE the tiles and marble counter tops. Just beautiful.

Eclectically Vintage said...

So glad you stopped by - you're a carrara loving girl after my own heart! Love your green glass tile, dark floors, white cabinets, built-in look fridge! This kitchen really rocks!
You must be cooking up a storm in there (or at least microwaving the heck out of everything)!
Kelly

Vicky said...

beautiful kitchen! can i ask what type of cabinets you got? you did a great job!

Pam said...

Love the transformation you made in your kitchen. The white cabinets and light counter tops are so inviting. I'm not a fan of blue but I even like your tile. The shine on the tile makes your kitchen look so crisp. We are in the process of building a new home and haven't yet reached the step of picking out cabinets,counter tops and tile yet. You have given me something to think about. Thanks

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Love your choices, especially the tile!

Unknown said...

Absolutely love it! So pretty and bright. Tile is perfect and will be using it on my reno!

Unknown said...

What style is the tile? Love it and would like to use in our kitchen...my tile guy says he needs the style to locate it. Thanks!

Cynthia said...

Unknown, please read the blog post for your answer.

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

What is the wall paint color?

Bella♥Storia said...

Featured and linked to your kitchen makeover in my Photo Feature column this week! Lovely job!
http://bellastoriablog.blogspot.com/2013/06/weekly-photo-feature-reader-remodel.html

Courtney said...

Your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! Could you tell me the color of the walls, trim and ceiling? I'm using white dove and insure of what other whites to use..thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Cynthia, can you tell us how your marble has held up this year? Any tips? Is it honed? Thanks!

Cynthia said...

generalmom--i hope this post helps. it's all about marble http://deepthoughtsbycynthia.blogspot.com/2013/01/living-with-marble-countertops-in-busy.html

Mme. Daigneau said...

Hi, we are building and we are worried about the fidge door opening. Our kitchen is similar but the pantry and fridge are in opposite places. Do you find this to be an issue or do the French doors eliminate the problem?

Cynthia said...

Mme. Daigneau--having the pantry and refrigerator meet in a corner is not ideal but it's not a big deal to me and there really wasn't an alternative.

Faith Jones said...

I was just googling Strande pulls for pics to see them on actual cabinets - probably getting them for our kitchen...and I can't believe it was your site that came up! lol LOVE your remodel!

Unknown said...

Love! Where did you get this house design? I'd love to see the floorplan.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cynthia said...

Lauren, we didn't build the house, we bought it used, hence the UGLY kitchen beforehand, so I have no idea how to see the plans.

Home Windows said...

Just discovered your site and I love it! and This kitchen is absolutely fabulous!! Love everything about it, 

Poulin Design Center
Kitchen Cabinet Santa Fe

Unknown said...

It seriously looks like it came from a magazine! I love all the little details too!

North East Factory Direct
Cleveland Kitchen Cabinets

Christy said...

I am look for an exterior paint color like yours! Would you mind sharing?
Thank you SO much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...