Saturday, May 01, 2010

Handmade Headboard

headboard install 007a copy
I made a headboard! I made a turquoise headboard! I am no expert in carpentry….although I did take a community night class and made a blanket chest six years ago. But my Dad IS an expert with all things handy, so since he was in town, he was my helper. Err….ok, I was HIS helper. Same thing wise guy. I saw these plans by a fabulous blogger named Ana. It is a knock-off of this $800 headboard at Pottery Barn. From what I read, this headboard could be made in around 2 hours. Seriously? Sign me up! (The finishing, however, took days, more on that later.) So off to Home Desperate Depot we went. We settled on clear pine, although I did buy 2 boards of El Cheap-O (official name) knotty pine for the lower boards that I knew would be covered. My dad tried to talk me out of buying my wood at Home Depot, claiming I would be ripped off. I should go to a lumber yard to get the best deal. Yea, yea, Dad, I can’t be bothered. What’s the worst that would happen? I overpay by 20 bucks or so? He’s a purist, I am not.
So we came home with a bunch of 1x3, 1x4, and 1x6 boards. The wood set me back about $90 George Washingtons. Cha ching! So far, so good! Then we got busy with my miter saw and drill.
headboard 001

I used screws to put the whole thing together (screw from behind or else use wood filler) instead of nails. Why? Because I don’t own a nail gun. I do own an air compressor so I really should get a nail gun. So here’s my Dad puttin’ it all together while I held the camera. His poor back hurt the next day. Thanks Dad!
headboard 004 copy
Aside from using screws, we made a couple more changes. We didn’t use the 2x4 Ana suggests putting on the very top. We thought it looked fine with just another 1x4 to finish it off.  I didn’t want it to look too rustic. Just a little bit used. This picture shows where we used some wood filler. In the end, I could’ve used the El Cheapo pine for the whole thing because I really liked how those lower boards looked once painted. Note to self.
headboard install 001
We also opted to brace the back in the middle with a leftover piece of wood, per some other bloggers’ comments. They thought it was a bit flimsy in the back as is. Nice and sturdy now!
Now comes the fun part—the finishing. I wanted to coordinate with my turquoise dresser. So I pulled out my trusty fan deck (all brilliant women own one) and chose this color to match. I was tempted to stain it a nice dark espresso like my nightstands (which are from Four Chairs) but I shun bedroom sets. I really don’t like everything to match so I opted for paint.
headboard 029 copy
It’s called Turquoise Mosaic 7605D by Millenium. Just take any color from any chip or fan deck to Lowe’s and they’ll enter the name into their magic computer which contains the name of all other manufacturers’ paint colors, and voila, you get the color you want without having to go to a bunch of different paint stores.
headboard 007
After 2 coats of paint, I notice a problem. You can’t see the boards anymore. Argh! It practically looks like I used a sheet of plywood. I want to see the individual boards! Too sterile as is. (*Scratches head with what to do*)
headboard 009
So my Dad came up with the idea of clamping boards to the headboard and chiseling out the seams again. In hindsight, we should’ve chiseled the boards as the very, very first step, and roughed ‘em up a bit. Here’s Paul with chisel in hand separating the boards again. Drag and smoosh, drag and smoosh. This is an official carpentry term. You can see at the bottom where we put a sample of stain to warm it up. Oh, I liked it a lot. Without the stain I will admit I cried out, “It belongs in Romper Room!” Phew, I felt better once the stain went on. I brushed it on with a sponge brush, then wiped it off with an old t-shirt.
headboard 011
I feel better now. The boards can be seen, stain was smooshed and slathered in the cracks, and now it’s time for 3 coats of polyurethane. If it hadn’t been 30-40 degrees this week (it’s April for crying out loud!), my 2 layers of paint, 1 layer of stain, and 3 layers of poly would’ve dried much faster. I had to sand with 600 grit sandpaper in between every coat as well. I wanted it smooth baby! Did I mention the headboard only took 2 hours and the finishing took 4 days? I was tempted to skip some steps, but I wanted this nearly perfect.  And you all know I am not a perfectionist.
headboard 017 copy
Here’s my recipe for finishing: I got nervous with the brightness of the turquoise on a sample board so I added an entire 2 fl oz. of brown craft paint lying around my house to the 1 quart of Turquoise Mosaic. In the end, I’m not sure it made much of a difference. But it made me feel like I was sprinkled with pixie dust in the moment. (“Pixie dust…pixie dust…calm down!” Name that movie.) I applied everything with foam brushes to avoid streaks. I need a paint gun now, don’t you think?

headboard 015
Take down my 4-yr old pale turquoise silk headboard (also made by yours truly), clear out the bed, and get busy.
headboard 020
But I first take a moment to laugh at Paul’s collection of vinyl from the 1980s found under our bed. I approve of the Psychedelic Furs 45, but not too sure about the Paula Abdul and M.C. Hammer records. “Straight up now tell me are you really gonna love me forever..oh…oh…oh…”  Back to work Cynthia.
headboard 021 headboard install 003
Paul the accountant gets busy with the drill and some bolts. Hubbies are handy too. Sometimes.
headboard install 005
I put the box spring back and take a moment to show you, my bloggy friends, how I make and attach a dust ruffle. I’ve talked about this before. But I’m showing you here that for this silk dust ruffle I used twist pins and not staples to attach it to the box spring. Never make a deck for your dust ruffle. Only sissies do that. Just kidding. Well, not really. You gotta take short cuts where you can.
headboard install 023 copy
headboard install 006
I put my very expensive D.I. Thriftstore (new, not gross) mattress back. And then add my goodies. In case you care, the quilt is from T.J. Maxx and everything else (well, the bedding at least) is made my me.
headboard install 020 copy












headboard install 015 copy
headboard install 010 copy



I love it! I love it! I am all for paying good money for furniture, but when something as simple as a headboard can be very easily made for $100 bucks, why pay $800? Thanks again to Ana for the fab plans.

46 comments:

Ana White said...

Absolutely love it! Thanks for the color, love the fabric on your pillows!

Michael said...

I really wanted to stay in Provo a little longer to see in person how this would turn out. I mean, after all it cost me a sore back! Anyway, it looks from here like it turned out just dandy! I was glad to be able to help you. I had fun. It was the icing on my cake, (AKA- visit to Utah. Can't wait to do another!

Love, Dad

Candy said...

OK, OK, so I know the whole, "Thou shalt not covet" thing, but oh my gosh! Cynthia! I LOVE IT!!!! It is so spunky and happy, yet rustic and eclectic at the same time!
WOW! Love it!

amber said...

i have been racking my brain for a new headboard!!! i am officially enlisting the live in carpenter for this one! immediately!

Jessica said...

Oh I love it! I wanted to dare to do turquoise on mine, but I know with the frequency I change my quilt out, I'd better stick with a neutral. Wasn't it fun! I used cheapo pine too & am so glad I did. I'd get the nice pine if I were going to stain it instead of paint ;) Now I gotta make one for the guest room.

Anonymous said...

OK, you are welcome at our house ANYTIME to design...:) we have everything you need; Ann even has a sewing machine here!! and if you don't want to design, you can just come to hang out... oh, and bring that family of yours!

the mama monster said...

i found your blog throught the knock off wood flickr page. i love your headboard. the color is the perfect turquoise i have been searching for! i love your way of doing the bed skirt too, i will be doing mine asap.

Kristina said...

It's beautiful!

Going to have husband make one- thanks for the link.

Cynthia said...

thanks everybody!

Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

The headboard is amazing! I love the color - great job on it. I so admire people who have a vision when it comes to decorating! Your bedroom is lovely!

Gwen said...

Oooooo! lovely! I really truly am going to attempt to make this! *concerned sigh.....
do not own any power tools and dh can't hang a picture so wish me luck!
I am a little fuzzy on how to distress the wood "cracks" in order for them to show up and look worn. just chisle in between the cracks? hmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Love your headboard and the cushions too.
Where did you find those fabulous fabrics?
Can you give me some hints about how to sew the cushions?

Thanks a lot!

Izaskun

Cynthia said...

the fabrics are from the august fields collection by amy butler. the zebra fabric is just from a local fabric store.

as far as hints to sew...i don't know how to teach sewing over the internet. :)

Cynthia said...

Gwen, yes, just chisle the wood with a wood chisle. do it before you put it together though, unlike myself. the rougher, the better!

Natalie of TheBusyBudgetingMama.com said...

i have to blog about this because it's beautiful!! bookmarked this to share with my readers. i love it! that paint color is perfect.

Unknown said...

I am IN LOVE with your pillow choices! I just found your blog today through Ana @ Knock-Off Wood. :)

Brittany & Barry said...

Do you ever STOP?!?!?! I LOVE IT!!

Tiffany said...

That bed is gorgeous! I know you must smile every time you look at it. You are VERY inspiring! And now...I must purchase a fan deck. :)

sandra said...

it looks AMAZING!! I LOVE the stain on it, i think it just gave it an older feel. your pillows are gorgeous!

Shelly B. said...

The whole thing (bed, bedding, etc.) is FABULOUS! GREAT job!

Carolyn said...

Cynthia- it looks awesome, I LOVE the color so much. It's perfect.
Carolyn#2

Holly said...

I LOVE what you've done with this headboard!! Great job!

(I found you on Ana's blog)

Win said...

Looks fab...as always :-) It was good to see Paul getting his hands dirty!

Michael said...

AS the man who helped you,(wait a minute...YOU helped ME)I don't recommend using a chisel before or after assembly. Before assembly I recommend chamfering the board edges by hand or power sanding. Chisels are the last resort. A church key (old time beer can opener) is easier to handle than a chisel. When the boards are laid edge to edge and gaps show between them, use a clamp to pull them together. If clamps are not in your tool inventory, buy one for about 12 bucks (12") or invest in a piece of water pipe 4 to 6 ft in length and buy Pony brand pipe clamps. With the pipe clamps you can compress (clamp) all the headboards at the same time instead of just two at a time. Your option is to clamp with glue and patiently wait for it to grab, or use a piece of wood across the back of the headboards glued and screwed to the outermost boards (top and bottom headboards) at the very least.

Ilene said...

LOVE IT!

Now tell me how you really feel about knotty pine.

Anyway this is inspiring me to have Dan make headboards for Laura's room. Of course that won't be for awhile but I like to plan ahead.

I had to repaint my entire entry way because Lowe's color matching was entirely off. Really. They even refunded my money it was so bad. Or at least don't try to have them match Benjamin Moore paint colors. It was awful. That was a random thought. Anyway, I'm glad your paint worked out beautifully. I am just bitter.

Ilene said...

By the way, I remember Paul purchasing those records shortly before his mission (or was it before he left to BYU?). Totally a jump from his usual melancholy alternative music.

I'm sure he liked to dance to MC Hammer while wearing his orange hat.

You know which hat I'm talking about, Paul.

Nancey said...

Way to shove it to Pottery Barn! Love how your pillows just highlight the board. Such talent, I swear. Oh, I meant to tell you I'm giving sewing lessons to a woman in my ward whose sister is Eileen, who is/was in your ward and was your 1st Counselor in YW. Eileen's sister, Kristin, needed some ideas for girls skirts and I pointed her to your tutorial and she recognized your blog. Funny.

Anonymous said...

Just linked over from the Knock-Off Wood Flickr group. Had to tell you that the color is DIVINE!!! Gorgeous job:)

LaurieJ said...

The ugly green eyed monster is rearing it's head and ..oh! wait.. this is my good friend and she is fantastically talented and it makes me so excited to see what you can do! I loved the one you did before, but this has topped the fabric one. Your color is spot on. It's beautiful. No jealousy, just admiration :-)

Unknown said...

After seeing your headboard on knock off wood, I visited your blog... over and over. For Mother's Day, I bought all the wood, paint, and stain. I am happy to report that I am now looking at a version of your bed. All I lack is sealing the paint job! Great job!

Brian and Carly said...

That looks amazing! I CANNOT tell Bri about this. Were one of the idiots that paid $800 for a headboard just this past Saturday...ugh. Did I mention Bri has a degree in construction management???

Infarrantly Creative said...

Ok I am kind of freaking out a bit. I just bought an embroidery design from you and then I see you on Knock Off Wood...I was like Meringue Designs...that sounds familiar. Lo and behold it is you. Small world. Love the turqouise color. It is amazing. Looks serene and wonderful!

Kandace said...

*drool*

linked from knock off. I'm thinking of making this in white with a calm blue and green duvet (kind of the opposite of yours I guess). Just have to convince the hubby...

Anonymous said...

I love it! I wish I was brave enough to have painted mine turquoise!

PhotoPuddle said...

Fantastic bed!! Love it!

Nicole said...

LOVE it, Cynthia! I see why HGTV wanted the pics!! AND...the fabric that I'm in love with happens to be on one of your pillows on the bed (the turquoise with orange flowers), lol. I'm hoping you still have a scrap somewhere, so I can see if it matches. ;-)

Coupon Connections NW said...

I have some extra turquoise paint and I can wait to do this!!

Whit said...

I am dying right now! I have been collecting inspiration for a headboard forever and the hubby and i are finally redoing our beroom this summer so we are getting down to the wire on deciding on a headboard. I found yours tonight and both of us instantly fell in love. Like it is official we are doing this in our room and I just can't wait!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this you saved me!!!

A Mommy's life..with a touch of YELLOW
tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

I will let you know when I do it and send you a pic and of course when I post it I will link back to you!

jlynnfisher said...

I absolutely love this!! Do you have the name of the wall paint you used?

Cynthia said...

jlynnfisher--the name of the paint on my walls? it's tavern taupe by millenium. if you meant the paint on the headboard, that info is in the blog post. thanks so much for your kind words! :) cynthia

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

I love this. I actually had my fiance build one and I painted it purple, something I would not have done if I hadn't seen how great yours looks. I've posted a pic of it on my blog if you want to check it out. Thanks for the idea and instructions.

Amanda C. said...

So I LOVE this, and am going to attempt it, however....I am a carpentry amateur!

So a couple questions: On Ana's original post it said you need a Kreg Jig? I had no idea what that was, googled it, and I am terrified. I have absolutely no idea how to use that. Did you use one?

I saw you said a miter saw (also had to google) and a drill....I know how to use a drill! Will that be enough, and can't the people at Home Depot cut the wood for me?

Unknown said...

Can anyone tell me how large this headboard is? I have a king size bed, and am really hoping to make this, this weekend! Thank you so much!

Just call me Camille said...

hi! love this, just wondering the exact wood supplies you purchased to make it!

This Way and That said...

Love the whole look!

Al@PolkaDotsandPaisley said...

I found this post several years ago and my husband used the plans to build us the same headboard. It was purple until we started redoing our bedroom and I loved it. Yesterday when I painted it white and I've fallen in love with it all over again.. I'm blogging about it today and will link back to your post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...