Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What a Bunch of Squares

This is my favorite quilt book—ever. I bought it a few years ago when it first came out. It’s really the only way I’ll ever make quilts again, fresh and modern with out fussy patterns. I have dreams of making nearly every quilt in this book.


This is my favorite quilt pattern in the book, seen above. It’s called “What A Bunch of Squares.” Cute name, huh? I have used it to make pillows galore, a quilt for my grandpa before he passed away, and now I have finally made myself my own queen size quilt for my bed.  I used mainly solids—Kona Cottons, Shot Cottons, a few of these fabulous handmade batik fabrics, and many, many yards of white cotton. Some of the squares are totally unique and many were cut using the stack-and-whack (*giggles*) method found in this book. Once I got that method down, making multiples of these assymetrical square block went fast.


I am usually the queen of no unfinished projects so I have no idea why it took me so long to finish this quilt when in reality each block took less than 30 minutes to put together, but that’s my life these last few years. I love 2-hour sewing projects for a reason. I just don’t seem to have more than a 2-hour block to myself (ever) to get things done. Sad, but true.I put all 25 of the 16x16” quilt squares together over a year ago. Then I put the quilt top together last fall. I finally added a 6” white border all the way around it last week. Then took it to the Stitching Corner in Orem, Utah to have it quilted (I do not quilt items this big….they hurt my hands and my brain). I bound it yesterday with 1/2” double bias in a lovely shade of turquoise, tossed it in the wash to soften it up a bit, and smoothed it over my bed by late afternoon. Oh how I love it. Repeat: Oh how I love it! 

13 comments:

midnight hysteria said...

it is absolutely exquisite ... the crispness and simplicity really speak to me ... it inspires me to think about making one -- *thinking* is the first step to actually making one (for me)! lovely!

Candy said...

You did it! Remember when you showed me this quilt when you had only about 4 squares done? I loved it then and I love it now. Simple, modern, funky....everything I love!
ONe day I'll have a house like yours, a house that looks like you live in a magazine. :)
But that'll be a ways off...heck we're still using camping chairs in our living room. Our new furniture should be here THursday and then it's new pillows here I come!

Love the quilt Cynthia, you did great!

Michael said...

The quilt is lovely and a nice match with the headboard! Your mother says to tell you it is beautiful, too!

Tiffany said...

I LOVE those colors. That quilt is so gorgeous...And oh how I love your rooms!

SingledOut4 said...

This is gorgeous! If I had even an ounce of your talent I would be a happy person. However, I can cook. That’s the one thing that makes me not want to slit my wrists right now. I love love love your bedroom!! Whenever I tell someone about you or your blog I refer to you as my Martha Stewart friend.

Marjorie said...

Beautiful! I love the modern style and clean bright colors!

Margaret said...

Lovely! I might have to hunt that book up. I can relate to the 2 hour sewing projects. I generally find that if I can't finish a project in an evening, it takes AGES to complete!

Margaret

Mike,Shar,Ryan,Rex said...

You are so amazingly talented! WOW!!!

Brittany & Barry said...

Oh, how IIIII love it too!

Erin @ Two More Seconds said...

It is GORGEOUS! I am in the process of making a queen for my bed too ... and UGH. Just ugh. I just need to go for it! Thanks for the inspiration! :]

amy smart said...

This quilt is WONDERFUL!! I love everything about it. My quilting style is evolving thanks to Denyse Schmidt - I really want to make a big improve pieced quilt. Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Your blog is amazing and gave me lots of inspiration.Thank you for sharing lots of cute sewings.

cinzia said...

this quilt is so lovely! You chose the colors to suit your room perfectly! this is one of my faves from DS as well. a classic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...