Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Camping—a curse or blessing?

My family are big time campers. We’ve camped in the San Bernardino mountains of California, the High Sierras of Northern California, and also the mountains of Utah.
But I have mixed feelings about camping.
Don’t Love:  Sleeping in a tent because I never sleep well. Even with the air mattress the guys are filling up. No sleep equals cranky Cynthia.
DSC_0347

Do Love: Seeing my kids have fun without any technology whatsoever. Nathan loved catching (and eating) these trout at Navajo Lake. Ilene loved roasting marshmallows each night. And Hallie loved the dirt—no pic unfortunately of that.
DSC_0379 copy
DSC_0377 (2)
Speaking of dirt…..Don’t love: Dirt and Grime. I didn’t get a picture of how absolutely filthy the children were but I’ll see if any of my extended family did. I just barely finished doing all the laundry created from this trip (3  days of laundry!) and some of the kids’ socks need to be washed multiple times to get rid of the grime.
This is my sis Carolyn drying a pair of grimey socks by campfire. Disgusting. Just drop ‘em in the fire sis.
DSC_0351
Do love: The scenery! I’ve been going to Cedar Breaks since I was a teenager. Love it!
DSC_0360 (2)
DSC_0397 copy
DSC_0428
See? Here’s proof I was there as a teenager. Why am I wearing a collared shirt with a sweatshirt? Oh the agony of the 1980s. How cute was our one-eyed dog Popette?
cedar breaks age 15 maybe2
cedar breaks age 15 maybe copy
Nonetheless….the Harrington family is a family of campers. Always have been, and I should just accept we always will be.  (The below pic is evidence of grimey children while camping, circa 1983, Heart Bar Campground, San Bernardino, CA.)
Left to right: The Harrington Brats Children: Mike, Me, Patty, Carolyn and Mark. (Dig the fringe Carolyn on your faux-Western pink leisure suit!.)
all five harrington kids camping
Ok, I’ll shut up now about camping. But I have the feeling there is more in store before the summer takes a bow.

7 comments:

Win said...

Looks like you guys had a blast! Have fun up in OR!

Nancey said...

Nice shots you took. No matter how much fun I have camping, anytime someone brings it up, I cringe a little...beach camping is less scary (bears, etc.) if you ever get a chance, but I don't know if sand is much better than dirt.

Anonymous said...

Great pics Cynthia! Hope you are having a great vacation! I've camped once, but would love to go again. I do agree with you on the sleeping though...

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

We camp too and I have a list of pros and cons about it. It's not my favorite thing in the world but my family loves it. Great pics!
~Michelle

Michael said...

Ya' know! You are absolutely right! Camping, a Lo tech activity, was so much fun for the kids. I loved fishing with Nathan and Marion! No one missed the Wii, or other electronic paraphernalia! Proof that life goes on without the added complexities we accumulate

Michael said...

Ya' know! You are absolutely right! Camping, a Lo tech activity, was so much fun for the kids. I loved fishing with Nathan and Marion! No one missed the Wii, or other electronic paraphernalia! Proof that life goes on without the added complexities we accumulate

The Tolman Family said...

Cynthia I love Cedar Breaks too. I lived in Cedar City when your family was visiting in the 80's. Wow small world. I definatly remember those days, how we dressed.
Jason

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...