Friday, October 24, 2008

My Kind of Town, Chicago



I am obsessed with the idea of living an urban life in a big city. I would live in a high-rise, preferably one that is a converted loft or something equally cool. And each night Paul and I would walk down the crowded streets (notice I didn't mention the kids) and stop at our favorite cafe and dine al fresco. This is why I love Chicago. We returned from the Windy City last Saturday after spending a great week with Paul's parents.



We traveled down to Springfield to go to the FABULOUS Lincoln Museum. This was the highlight for me--I found myself wiping my eyes after each of the magnificent documentary movies, grateful for the sacrifices President Lincoln made to preserve our country.


We walked down Magnificent Mile in downtown Chicago, seeing American capitalism at its best as we wandered stores like American Girl, The Lego Store, Tiffany jewelers, etc.





















We had a great time at the Field Museum seeing mumified cats and dinosaur bones.









And who could forget all the gorgeous fall leaves to be enjoyed in a state that actually has trees growing naturally?



















Sing it Frank, "And each time I leave, Chicago is tuggin my sleeve, Chicago is the wrigley building, Chicago is the union stockyard, Chicago is one town that wont let you down. Its my kind of town."

6 comments:

Michael said...

I have never been really interested in Chi-town until I saw your great photos. Now I will have to add it to my list of cities to see after I retire. (Who knows when that will be!)

Win said...

I too enjoyed visiting Springfield! I got teary eyed as well as I walked through the exhibits. Lincoln has always been one of my heroes.....but after that experience, I have an even deeper respect and love for that man! Looks like you guys had a blast! Illinois is such a fun place to visit.

Ilene said...

Glad you guys had so much fun. I am glad Mom and Dad will be there for awhile longer. You are a better family than ours to go to Springfield. I was too lazy and pregnant to drive down there.

Paul said...

It was a great trip. Too much fun.

Anonymous said...

i liked Chicago, although since i went with an infant i don't think i got to have quite as much fun as you obviously did. but the wind off of the lake in the early morning convinced me i'd have a hard time getting through a Chicago winter.

that last picture is just great.

Anonymous said...

Now I want to come visit Chicago!! Can I tag along sometime??? PS - I LOVE LOVE LOVE that picture of Hallie skipping in the leaves.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...