Ok, I haven't blogged in a while about motherhood. I've been thinking about what kind of a mom I am. I am not the kind of mom that slurps kisses on my kids and just beams when they come into the room. In other words, I am not too sentimental. I value my independence and strive to teach my children to be good and decent members of society. I never miss my kids on the rare occaion that I get a break (albeit 1 day or 7 days) from them. But I do think I am a good mom nonetheless. And here's how I realized it today.
I know I am a GOOD mom because...
1. I take extra long showers until my skin turns red just to avoid stepping out of the bathroom into the Twilight Zone.
2. I love being home alone and never get tired of it. Ever. If such an event occurs during the day (while all the kids are at school/pre-school) I simply enjoy the silence--no TV, no music, nothing. If such a blessed event occurs at night (if Paul takes the kids out to a sporting event (*yawn*)) then I watch long BBC movies.
3. Driving in silence. Kind of the same as #2 only I take this to two different extremes. I either drive in complete silence and inhale deep breaths to cleanse my normally noise-filled life or I listen to music VERY loudly. This works particularly well in our new car with a Bose audio system. Even better if listening to U2's Vertigo. I feel naughtly because I listen to it so loudly that I have to keep checking my rear-view mirror lest I see an ambulance trying to blow around me because I can't hear a thing and should've pulled over.
4. I sneakily eat chocolate sometimes. (Is this what closet alcoholics do?) I hide in my pantry and eat the delicious European chocolate or else I'd have to share. Heck, the kids are happy with dum dum lollipops, why share money?
5. My kids say I'm mean. Enough said.
So why are you a good mom?