Friday, September 23, 2005

Sew Much Fun

Most of you know I sew—I sew a lot. In fact I am going to be starting my own sewing business soon because I love it so much and I am actually really good at it. Who knew? As with any hobby, there are pros and cons.

Things that bug me about being a sewing enthusiast

1. Patterns for lingerie—bras, underwear, skimpy stuff. Is there a shortage of good women’s underwear to be found in the stores?
2. Dealing with the employees at Joann’s. I think the criteria to work here is if you have been fired from the DMV.
3. People who use the word “sew” in puns. “Sew Perfect”, “Sew Exciting”, etc. It’s getting old.
4. Crazy ladies on patternreview.com--
a. Should I reply to their pants reviews that pleats around the midsection are out? And that no one should ever wear tapered pants anymore?
b. The women who make bras and then review those patterns.
c. Ladies who sew anything for a pet and then review those patterns
5. Unable to pay retail because as soon as I look at the price tag the following phrase immediately comes out of my mouth: “I could make that for way less!”

Things that I love about being a sewing enthusiast
1. Buying fabric online. What is it about the UPS man delivering a package to me at 3pm that makes my day?
2. I get to use obscure words and phrases like placket, nap, flat-fell, entredeux, feed dog, pile, selvage, stitch-in-the-ditch, and my favorite: armscye.
3. Giving free advice to the lost customers in fabric stores.
--In Joanns: “Oh, you don’t want to buy knit here. You want to buy it from wazoodle.com.”
--In HomeFabrics: “You’ll want about 8 yards of fabric to slipcover a chair.” I’m such a know-it-all.
4. Unable to pay retail because as soon as I look at the price tag the following phrase immediately comes out of my mouth: “I could make that for way less!”

3 comments:

Carly said...

I tried to sew a skirt for an evening of excellence project at the age of 16. I ended up having to use a belt, ten safety pins, and a lot of loose clothing to cover up all the mistakes I made. Thus, when you start your business I will be your first customer.

Anonymous said...

Does replacing a lost button count as sewing? If not, I'm clueless. I am happy for you that you have found your niche in life.
On a fashion note. My wife believes in purchasing those high quality garments, not necessarily "name brand", but usually high dollar from well known mall stores. Her argument is they wear better and last longer. I, on the other hand, would shop at the discount stores. My thinking is, by the time I wear it out, I'm ready for something new anyway.

Lorraine Courigan said...

I know it's "Sew" lame but I envy your talent, skill & hobby! I couldn't sew to save my life! Best I can do is sew on a button or fix a ripped seam!!

What I would give to NOT pay retail! :)

Let me know if you need any help selling on Ebay!! I can do that!

Love
Lori

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...