Thursday, August 04, 2016

Wood Stairs

I have been wanting to rip the beige shaggy goodness off of our stairs for several years now. Finally it is done!

My kiddos didn't want wood stairs because they prefer to lounge on them and wood stairs ain't good for loungin'. Good grief.



But I am the queen of my castle, well sort of. So once the kids got old enough that falling down the stairs was less likely, and once they accepted chairs for sitting, not stairs, we began the process. Here are some before pictures:
bottom stairs were always dirty....always :(

shaggy goodness should've stayed in the 1970s

posts were just 4x4 pieces of wood stained. Nuttin' special.


I sent our contractor some inspiration photos. I wanted wood treads, white risers, and wainscoting. Thank you Pinterest!




Demolition began.....
Bye bye carpet and ugly rustic handrails.

Wainscoting begins going up


Once wainscoting was done and sprayed the stairs could go in. I used my favorite white I use everywhere else, White Dove by Benjamin Moore.
White Dove was sprayed on wainscoting and walls


Hickory treads went in next. White Melamine was used for the risers because they are super easy to wipe scuffs off instead of having to repaint scuffs on white-painted wood risers.

Every project take longer than you think but it's always worth it in the end. I repainted some of my outdated picture frames navy blue and we are done!
not really into yellow and orange anymore








2 comments:

ottspot said...

Perfect! I love it.

Kathy E. said...

Our stairway needs new life too and seeing your photos notches that job up a few steps on our list! It looks wonderful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...