Monday, April 16, 2012

Homemade English Muffins

Who knew that making homemade English muffins was as simple as making a pancake batter? I sure didn’t. They are fluffier than any store bought muffin and healthier for sure. I made mine with 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white flour but next time I’ll try 100% wheat and see how they turn out.

DSC_0320

The worst part is flipping them over because the dang rings flip off.

DSC_0322

DSC_0316

 DSC_0319

Oh and the cornmeal crumbles get all over. They cook in the same amount of time as muffins in the oven—24 minutes total on super low heat of your grill.

You make the batter the night before and just let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. I loved them. My kids loved them. And they made awesome egg/sausage sandwiches the next day.

DSC_0323

Recipe is from my favorite bread book Artisan Breads Every Day by Peter Reinhart. Good grief I love that book. All the doughs are made, needed just a touch, then refrigerated overnight or up to several days. Oh yea, fresh bread any time.

click here for printable recipe

artisan

4 comments:

Ilene said...

I like how the box gives you permission to use the rings for alternate uses. May I use these rings for eggs and pancakes? Why yes, indeed I may.

Casey said...

How did I know that someday you would post exactly what I've been wanting to do. Ever since I learned how to make bagels I've been wanting to make english muffins but have been to lazy to look into it. So my question is: Where do you get the rings?

Aubri said...

I've never made English Muffins with those cool little hoops! I've always just rolled them out and cut them with a round biscuit cutter. But, yours are much fluffier. They look so good! I have that book, and I'll have to try those! Yum!

Mary said...

Warm English muffins topped with melted butter and raspberry freezer jam, with a side of hot cocoa is a favorite treat of mine on winter days. Texture is a big part of why I like certain foods, and the ones you made look perfect! I've never even thought of making them myself. Reading through the recipe, I have to wonder how anyone ever thought of making these delightful little breads. I'm glad someone did!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...